Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Stricter Traffic Laws and Fines....


So the big hype in Kuwait right now is these new stricter traffic violations. Here is the catch, it is targeted towards expats. If you see the image above that is the new traffic fines.

I am all for improving the roads and enforcing laws. I have been hoping they would shape up the driving in Kuwait. However, targeting expats and threatening them with getting deported for running a red light, that is a bit extreme.

Whats the real reason if you ask me? It is all part of the grand scheme of reducing the number of expats in the country. Do I find this logical? The concept yes. Kuwait is over populated, the roads are enough proof of that. I am also all for making Kuwaitis more self sustaining. After all, it is their country. But departing people for crossing a red light, that is a bit over kill don't you think?

It is a known fact Kuwait will implode if all the expats were to leave. Yes Kuwait is rich and the youth are more hard working and motivated. However, the work ethic is much lower. Why? Because of the way of life in Kuwait. People have gotten used to the culture of expats working from 8 to 5 and Kuwaitis working from 8 to 1 or 2. Kuwaitis also get the government allowance. There are so many benefits given to the locals for less responsibilities. Can one blame them? Not at all. But to kick out all the expats will be detrimental to Kuwait's economy.

Back to the road business. What about the Kuwaiti drivers? Yeah sure they say the fines and jail time apply to them as well but would they put a Kuwaiti girl in jail? I think not. Would they put someone from a higher up family in jail? I think not. And who are the most reckless drivers in the country? Kuwaitis by far. Plus though the expat community is larger than the local one. One must put this into perspective. The largest expat group in Kuwait is the Indians and Pakistanis. What occupation take up the majority of this group? Blue color laborers. In other words, lower class workers. Do they drive? Not all of them. In fact not even a large portion of them drive. They are provided with transportation given by their company.

My main concern is the extreme punishments for the expats and the leniency on the locals. Lead by example people!!!!

On a brighter note, I am really happy to see that fines for children in the front seat have been noted. Personally, I think that fine should be higher! Nothing pisses me off more than to see a baby in the front seat on someones lap! Even the drivers lap sometimes! Car seats are made for a reason! It is to protect your child. Then there are the older kids that don't have to wear seal belts and roam through the vehicle and even poke their whole bodies out of the car. Hello, one accident and your child goes through the window!

This is all so concerning. I love my life here in Kuwait (most days). The last thing I need is the fear of getting deported for the way I drive. I am a responsible part of the community. I drive not just my car but I calculate other drivers next move. I keep a whole car distance between me and the vehicle in front of me. So, if i accidentally run a red light that might have changed red while I was going through the yellow light, I can get deported. This is very unfair. But hey hoe, as the locals always say, "I know nothing and I must remember I am a guest in their country." All I can say to that before I close off is, when you invite someone into your home you treat them with respect don't you? You serve them food and drink, take their coats, give them a nice meal, clean your house before they come. So isn't that the same concept on a larger scale?

Oh well, I love Kuwait. I have been here pretty much my whole life and I like my life here I share with my husband and family. So I will follow these rules and pay even more attention on the road so that I do not cause my own deportation.

Tata for now. xoxo 

No comments:

Post a Comment