Monday, May 11, 2015

Post Baby Body

Hey there!

So today's topic is one that I find women don't really talk about; Post baby body! Yes we all know there is "baby weight" and that some women lose it and other don't. But what is "baby weight" really? Now that I have it I feel I may be able to shed some real honest light on this matter.

When I was pregnant I was very lucky and didn't really gain any weight other than my baby bump. I wasn't just lucky though to be honest. I DID NOT EAT FOR TWO! That is a big fat lie and a stupid excuse for women to let go and eat crap and blame it on pregnancy. Why use something like making another human life and excuse to excessively eat? These are things people don't say out loud because pregnant women are "sensitive" and "hormonal." Again that is a silly excuse. We as women are still human and capable of getting our selves in check.

Without going into all of that, I am going to talk about the post baby body. So I currently weigh 60 KGs. Oh my gosh yes I broke the cardinal rule and revealed my weight. I am also 5 foot 1 inch. So I don't like weighing 60 KGs. The strange thing is this "baby weight." I am telling you it is not fat. It is lose skin that feels like jello. See when I had fat on my body previously I simply couldn't fit in certain clothes and sizes because the fat wouldn't let me.  However, this lose skin is different. I can fit in all my old clothes because this skin can just be moved and squished.

Now lets discuss that brown line that goes down your belly. Eww! Even if my tummy wasn't all flabby, I would not put on a bikini with that line. Other mommies told me that goes away after about 6 months!!! Why does no one tell you this??????

Stretch marks. I have this little circular patch of tiger stripes on one side of my tummy. I am convinced I have them because people always saw my belly and said I can't believe you don't have stretch marks!!! And BAM!!!! Last week of pregnancy I get this weird patch of stretch marks.



If you have a baby naturally you are just not ok in the downstairs region especially if you had to get an episiotomy. Basically for the first few weeks you are convinced you will never ever have sex again! HAHAHA TMI but I wish people had told me these things.

Breasts. Oh the breasts. I didn't have problems producing milk. In fact I made so much of it my own baby couldn't keep up with the supply. I knew I would leak from time to time but what people didn't tell me is that I would wake up drenched in milk having to change my shirt in the middle of the night. Here is a tip I would have liked before hand: bring multiple rags to bed with you for the first couple weeks if you have the abundance of milk issue. Hold a rag over your other breast that you are not feeding with during midnight feedings. Your boobs are different sizes at different times of the day due to your milk supply. Get used to that. Accept the stretch marks on yours boobs. They bothered me the most.

Basically post baby body is very overwhelming. Your emotions are so out of check as well. I will not discuss post natal depression because I did not get it and therefore have no right to post my opinion on that. What I will say is that you have good days and then you have very bad days. You are so happy most of the time but some days you are just sad and it is not depression, it is not your baby, it is not something specific you have done, you are just sad. I am posting this to tell you that that is ok and totally normal. No one told me I would be a mess of emotions and feel guilty for it as well. You feel guilty because you have always had this misconception that you have to be that picture happy mother post baby because motherhood is the most beautiful thing in the world and that is it.



I call bullshit. I am so happy. I love my life. I love my husband. I love and adore my baby. I love myself. I still have bad/sad days though. It is just part of the game. Being a mother is flippin hard work. You don't get a full nights sleep. Finding time to do something as simple as a shower becomes a task you actually have to plan. Same thing goes for eating. Some days your baby is an angel and you are overjoyed. Some days your child is fussy and cries and you end up crying because you truly believe you are doing something wrong. You aren't. In fact just for feeling that way tells me you are doing it right because you care! You smell funky all the time! It is this strange odor that is a mixture of baby spit up and horrible armpit sweat plus whatever else you have most probably spilled all over yourself.

I absolutely love being a mom. I take great pride in it. I look at B and think I really am the luckiest woman alive. I wouldn't change my life for all the riches in the world. I also am realistic and honest and want to shed light on some of the not so delightful parts of this experience because well....I wish someone had told me these things!

Hope this makes at least one mommy breath a breath of fresh air.



Now time for dinner, B went down for a nap.

Adios muchachos!

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, you've got a nice blog. I am nominating you for Versatile Blogger Award. Please check this link: http://themidnightink.blogspot.ae/ to see the details so you can also make your own post about the award. Cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete